Chinchillas are small in size, good looking, jovial and social animals, that can easily be tamed as pets. Rather than pets, chinchillas are also important as they have beautiful and shiny fur used to make beautiful clothes and coats.
Chinchillas are fun animals to raise at home. However, they have a few limitations in terms of the type of food they feed on.
This is because they have a very sensitive digestive system. There are several types of food that chinchilla like to eat most. Some of this food is safe while others are unsafe for its consumption.
It is therefore upon the owner to research and know the type and category of food safe and unsafe for this animal. Below is a list of 18 types of food that chinchilla like to eat most.
HERE ARE 18 BEST FOOD FOR CHINCHILLA THAT THEY LIKE MOST.
These are commercial and special prepared food for chinchilla, that are usually packed as pellets.
Chinchilla loves this type of food because it is prepared with diversities of ingredients, that contain special and healthy nutrients.
These ingredients are not only tasty but have several health benefits to the animal. The animals should be fed one tablespoon of pellets in the morning, and one tablespoon in the evening.
– This food is prepared with a balanced diet that gives your chinchilla all the needed nutrients.
– The food contains fiber that helps to boost the animals’ digestion process. Fiber also improves the absorption of nutrients in the body.
– Chinchilla pellets are perishable food. That is, they expire and lose their nutrients when packed for more than six months.
– The food is addictive to chinchillas. How? Once they consume, they will regularly expect it, for the purpose of maintaining their health. This food also triggers chinchillas to lose interest and appetite in other healthy and essential foods.
– They cannot be fed alone without accompaniments. Despite the fact that they contain healthy nutrients, pellets are not heavy enough to sustain your chinchilla’s anger. They should be accompanied by a heavy and healthy meal.
Pellets are available in Amazon, which is a global and online retail website. They are also available in local pet and animal stores.
Vitakraft Chinchilla Cocktail
This is a dry, parked, essential, and healthy food for chinchilla, made from a mixture of sweet flowers, fresh fruits, oats, calcium propionate preservative, natural herbs and ground corn among many other ingredients.
Chinchilla loves this food because it has sweet ingredients that bring a sweet taste. For a great health purpose, chinchillas should have a cup of vita craft cocktail in a day.
– It has natural plant ingredients that are healthy and easy for a chinchilla to digest.
– It has a diversity of healthy nutrients that improves the animal’s growth and a healthy lifestyle.
– It has natural herbs which are strong antioxidants. These herbs help to improve your chinchillas’ immune system, and aid removal of toxins from its body.
– It has essential minerals that promote healthy bones, teeth’s and overall growth of your chinchilla.
– It is a packed and dry food, which when not consumed along with water, can cause constipation and stomach complications like bloating in your chinchilla.
– It is costly to purchase, making it less accessible and unaffordable to less fortunate chinchilla owners.
– It is sometimes hard to get local pet stores.
– It has some ingredients like pine cones which are disliked and a
turnoff to some chinchillas.
Vitakraft chinchilla cocktail is mostly found in Amazon and big animal and pet stores.
Sherwood Chinchilla Food
This is a dry, healthy and nutritious food that is soy and grain-free. The food is liked by chinchillas because it has a fresh look and smell. It also contains the sweet taste of a special treat.
– It is a grain and soy free food, packed with the correct amount of fiber for easy and fast digestion.
– It is low in calories and has healthy nutrients that promote effective growth of healthy and shiny skin.
– It does not contain harmful additives or flavors that add toxins, which are a threat to your chinchillas’ immune system.
– Chinchillas should not consume much of this food, as it contains ingredients like whole flax, which when consumes in large quantities, has negative side effects like intestinal obstruction and constipation.
– It is a dry packed food that brings digestion problems, when not consumed along with water.
Sherwood chinchilla food is found in Amazon, and in Sherwood food distributors, which is a company with several headquarters.
Oxbow Animal Health Essentials Deluxe
This is a dry packed but healthy food for a chinchilla. The food Is packed with essential nutrients fit for both young and adult chinchillas.
They are preferred by most chinchillas because they are highly preserved into a fresh look and taste.
The food is also loved by chinchillas, as it contains few traces of junk and candies adding a sweet taste to the food.
However, elbow animal health chinchilla food should be moderately consumed, to give them room to feed on other food and diets. It is recommended to feed 4 tablespoons of Oxbow animal health food in a day.
– The food is packed with essential nutrients like soy products, fiber, healthy fats, and proteins, for the overall growth of the animal.
– It contains fiber, which is essential in easing the digestion process.
– It contains healthy fats, which help to break down and eliminate accumulated fat in the body. Healthy fats help in weight loss.
– It is fit for both young and adult chinchillas.
– It is packed in large bags, which makes them long lasting and economical.
– It is costly, hence not affordable to every chinchilla owner.
– It is a dry food that when not consumed along with water, can cause digestion problems and stomach complications.
Exbow animal health food can be found in local and small let stores, big pet stores and Amazon, a global online retail shop.
Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Mix
This is another best food for chinchilla, parked with fortified natural fruits and vegetables. It contains fortified minerals and amino acids.
Chinchillas love this food because it contains natural flavor and fresh taste of flowers and fruits.
It is recommended to feed just a tablespoon of Higgins sunburst food in a day, as it is packed with candles and junks that are not safe to the animal’s health if consumed in large quantities.
– It has a healthy mixture of ingredients that promotes a shiny, nice and soft growth of the Animals skin.
– It has natural preservatives that help the fruit and flower ingredients to maintain its fresh taste and look.
– It has no artificial flavors and additives that are harmful to the animal’s general health.
– It has probiotics that help to maintain the animal’s immune system.
– They have few traces of junk and candies which are not healthy Gwen consumed in large quantities.
– They have dried fruits and vegetables which causes digestion problems in some chinchillas.
– It contains sugar, which is added by dried fruits and flowers. Sugar brings negative side effects to the animal, like excessive fat and weight gain.
This product is found in Amazon, local pet stores, and animal or pet food companies.
F.M Brown’s Tropical Chinchilla Food
This is a portion of essentially healthy food for chinchilla, packed with highly nutritious food and treats.
They are loved by chinchillas because they contain tasty and delicious raisins and sunflower seeds. Chinchillas should feed two tablespoons of Brown’s tropical chinchilla food in a day.
– It is packed along with essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals that help to promote the entire growth of the animal.
– It has traits of fiber that promotes the digestion process of the animal.
– It contains essential and delicious food and traits, hence loved by the animal.
– It is easily available in local pet stores, animal food companies and online retail shops like Amazon.
– It is not a recommendable food to all chinchillas, especially picky and choosy ones. This is because they pick delicious and colored food treats, leaving behind the dull traits and pellets, which are more nutritious.
– It contains a few junk products which are not healthy when consumed in large quantities.
– It is costly hence not affordable to all chinchillas owners.
– It is a dry packed food which may have negative side effects to your chinchilla when consumed in the absence of water
Zupreen Nature’s Promise Zupreen
This is an essential food for a chinchilla. It is packed with a mixture of healthy ingredients like flax seeds, fiber, minerals and vitamins among others.
It is liked by chinchillas because it is a delicious meal. Veterans recommend intake of two tablespoons of this food in a day.
– It contains healthy and nutritious substances that promote the animal’s growth and immune system.
– It is less costly compared to another type of foods. It is also easily available in local pet stores and online retail websites like Amazon.
– It has fiber traits that improve the animals’ digestion process.
– It is a portion of dry food, hence not advisable to feed the animal in the absence of water.
– It has some components like flax seed which has negative side effects, like intestinal obstruction, when consumed excessively.
Kaytee Fiesta Chinchilla Food
This is an essential food for a chinchilla. It is mostly liked by chinchilla, as it is packed with a blended mixture of sweet fruits, vegetables, seeds and grains offering wide health benefits to the animal. It is recommended to feed 3 tablespoons of Kaytee fiesta in a day.
This food is packed with moderately hard textured pieces of Pellet’s that encourages natural chewing habit of your chinchilla, which is a rodent animal.
– It contains probiotics that promote the overall health and immune system of your chinchilla.
– It is naturally preserved for freshness.
– Not suitable for choosy chinchillas as they pick up sweet fruit treats and sunflower seeds, leaving behind health pellets.
– Excessive consumption of fruits and vegetables cause digestion problems to some chinchillas.
– It is not affordable to every chinchilla owner, as it is costly and hard to get in local stores. IT is mostly available in online retail shops like Amazon.
Water is an essential supplement for a chinchilla. Well known, chinchillas have sensitive digestive systems.
This calls for a great need to feed Chinchillas with water. Chinchillas should be fed with water all throughout the day, by use of water bottles specially designed for chinchillas to drink from.
Chinchilla’s water bottles are easily available in local pet and animal stores.
– Water is easily available and affordable.
– water is essential in boosting digestion, preventing bowel complications and obstructions.
– Water helps to clean and wash off toxins from the body.
– water bottles are sensitive and should be cautiously kept clean, to avoid an accumulation of bacteria and dirt. Chinchillas love drinking clean water.
– Some water may contain sodium which is harmful and causes dehydration in chinchillas.
Dried Rose Hips
These are essential treats and healthy food for the chinchilla. These treats are most liked by chinchillas because they have a Candy and junk delicious taste.
However, the food should be moderately fed to Chinchillas, to avoid digestion problems. It is recommended by veterans and pet specialists to feed one teaspoon of dried rosehip shell in a day.
– They contain natural fiber that helps to improve and fasten the process of digestion.
– They contain Vitamin C, a food supplement that contains strong antioxidants. Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system of these animals.
– They contain vitamin A, that helps in the overall growth of the animal. This vitamin helps chinchillas to have an improved and better vision.
– They have citric acid that facilitates the growth of soft, shiny and healthy fur.
– They are affordable and easily available as they can be-be found in local pet stores, markets, and groceries.
– They should be eaten in moderation, as excess consumption of this treats may cause fat accumulation and weight gain to your chinchilla
– Excess consumption of citric acid has some negative side effects like weight gain, restlessness, and diarrhea.
Applewood sticks are essential treats and healthy food for a chinchilla.
They are liked by chinchillas as they use them as chew toys. This is because Chinchillas are rodents that love chewing.
They also have a junk and candy delicious taste. Chinchilla should feed one apple wood stick in a day.
– They contain healthy nutrients that help in the overall growth of these animals.
– They help to clean, trim and strengthen the teeth of these animals.
– They are affordable and easily available in local pet stores and online retail websites like Amazon.
– These treats contain some junky ingredients that are not safe to your chinchilla when consumed in large quantities.
– They are addictive to the animal as they are sweet and delicious. That is, when consumed by chinchillas, they make them lose appetite and interest for other healthy food like pellets.
-They are prone to cracking or breaking into tiny pieces when they fall. When they break, they lose their purpose of chew toys to the animal.
Carrots are vegetables, treats and healthy food for a chinchilla. They are liked by chinchillas because of their natural sweetness.
Nevertheless, they should be moderately fed to Chinchillas, as excessive consumption can have negative side effects on the animal. Chinchillas should feed one carrot in a week.
– They are cheap, affordable and easily available as they can be found in local markets and groceries.
– They contain essential nutrients like vitamin C, which is a strong antioxidant and helps to improve the animal’s eyesight.
– They are gentle and used like chew toys to strengthen, clean and trim the animals’ teeth.
– It should be consumed moderately as excessive consumption may cause digestion problems in the animal’s sensitive digestive systems.
– It contains natural acidity which may cause some stomach complications like bloating.
– It has natural sugar which may cause rotting of the teeth. Excess sugar can also cause diarrhea, weight gain, fat accumulation and obesity to your chinchilla.
Strawberries for Chinchillas
Strawberries are healthy fruits and food for a chinchilla. They liked by chinchillas because of their natural sweetness, attractive color, and texture.
Strawberries should be moderately consumed in little quantities, as excessive consumption causes negative side effects to this animal.
How? Strawberries are fruits which are slow to digest. This causes digestion problems in chinchillas, as they have a sensitive and delicate digestive system. The specialist recommends that chinchilla should be fed one strawberry in a week.
– They are affordable and easily available as they can be found in local markets and groceries.
– They contain essential nutrients like vitamins, energy, proteins, and carbohydrates that are essential for the overall growth of the animal.
– They have strong antioxidant agents that help to strengthen the animal immune system.
– They have a naturally sweet taste, which makes it easy to feet chinchillas, as they love them. This makes it economical, as the animal feed them without wastage.
– They contain sugar, which may cause problems like weight gain and rotting of the teeth if consumed in large quantities.
– They contain natural acids and water which cause stomach complications like bloating, in the sensitive stomach of chinchillas.
Fresh pineapple juice is a portion of healthy and great food for a chinchilla.
Chinchillas love this juice, because it has a sweet smell and taste, along with Golden and attractive color. It is advised that chinchillas should be fed this juice twice in a week with a quantity of 50 ml in a day.
– It contains essential enzymes that help to dissolve and unblock intestinal enzymes that are blocked by hard food, organic matters or air in chinchillas intestines.
– It contains essential nutrients like vitamin C which is a strong antioxidant, strengthening chinchillas’ body immune system.
– They are affordable and easily available in local markets and groceries.
– It contains acid, which when consumed in large quantities can cause stomach problems like stomach bloating.
– It contains sugar, which can cause rotting of teeth or weight gain, body fat accumulation, and obesity in chinchillas.
Supreme Pet Chinchilla Food
This is a portion of dry and healthy food, processed and parked especially for chinchillas. Chinchillas love this food because it has natural preservatives, that makes the ingredients to maintain their fresh look an taste.
It is advised to feed Chinchillas a measurement of 4 tablespoons of supreme pet food in a day.
– Supreme pet food is packed with a diversity of healthy and nutritious ingredients with different health benefits. For instance, it has Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Linseed, Soya beans and wheat among others.
– This food promotes healthy, soft, shiny and strong growth of chinchillas fur, because of its essential ingredient of linseed.
– This food is sugar-free, thereby protects the animal from weight gain, obesity, and dental problems.
– It is packed naturally, with natural preservatives, free of artificial additives and flavors that had a negative effect on chinchillas overall body health.
– It is a portion of dry food, which can bring digestion problems to the animal, if not consumed along with water.
– It has a few kinds of wheat in their ingredients, which can cause weight gain if consumed in large quantities.
– It is costly and not affordable to every pet owner. They are hard to access, as they are mostly not available in local pet stores. They are available in online retail websites, which are neither known about or access to some chinchilla owners.
Sunseed Vita Prima Chinchilla Formula
This is an essential and healthy food for the chinchilla. This food is liked by chinchillas, as it contains vegetable and fruits that have a naturally sweet and fresh taste.
It is advised to feed Chinchilla a moderate quantity if sun seed vita prima, as excessive consumption can cause negative side effects. Chinchillas should feed on a measurement of two tablespoons of this food in a day.
– It contains freshly packed fruits and vegetables, that are liked by chinchillas.
– It has fiber nutrients, that boost the process of digestion in chinchillas
– It has essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals. These nutrients are essential because; Vitamins help to boost chinchillas’ immune system, provide them with energy, and repair damaged cells. Minerals help to promote the overall growth of chinchillas.
– It has probiotics that help to boost the animal’s immune system. It protects the animal from bacterial infections.
– It has natural preservatives to maintain the freshness of its ingredients.
-It does not contain artificial additives or flavors, that are threats to your chinchilla’s health.
– It has junk and candy treats, which may cause weight gain when consumed in large quantities.
– It contains fruits and vegetables that are not easily digested. They may cause digestion problems in chinchilla, as they have sensitive digestive systems.
– It contains sugar which may cause dental problems and weight gain in chinchillas.
– It is a dry packed food which can bring digestion problems when not consumed along with water.
These are essential and healthy herbs, treats and food for the chinchilla. They are liked by chinchillas because they have an amazing natural taste and smell. However, they should be consumed in the least quantities of one and a half,1/2, a teaspoon in a day.
– It is a natural herb that contains no artificial additives or flavors.
– They have soothing and relaxing agents, that creates a relaxed mood in chinchillas.
– Chamomile is a strong antioxidant plant, that when consumed, it boosts and strengthens your chinchilla’s immune system.
– They are treats, which when consumed in large quantities, cause digestion complications in sensitive chinchillas.
– They are addictive. That is, they can generate a loss of appetite to other essential and nutritious types of food.
Hay for Chinchillas
Hay is an essential and healthy food for the chinchilla. It is made of either grass, leaves, seed heads, steam heads or flower heads, that has been cut, prepared dry and stored for animal use.
Hay is liked by chinchillas as they have a suitable texture that promotes its love of chewing. Hay are chinchillas’ main meal.
That means that there is no limitation to the amount of hay fed on chinchillas. Hay should be fed to Chinchillas full time.
– It contains essential nutrients like fiber that promotes your
chinchillas’ digestive system.
– It also contains essential like minerals and vitamins. Minerals are important for the growth of strong bones and teeth. Vitamins, on the other hand, provide chinchillas with sufficient energy, boost their immune system and help in the repair of their damaged cells.
– Some hays contain nutrients like proteins, that promote the growth of muscles and prevent weight gain and obesity
– It helps in promoting the animal’s dental health as it encourages consistent chewing.
– Despite the fact that it contains fiber, a healthy nutrient used to promotes digestion, hay can cause constipation and digestion problems in chinchillas, when not consumed along with water.
– Hay contains dust from dried leaves, grass or flowers, that can cause allergic reactions to both the chinchilla and its owner.
There are several types of Hays. However, not all types are fit and safe for chinchilla consumption. Below is a list of safe and healthy hays for chinchillas.
This is green hay, made with a low amount of protein but a high amount of calcium and fiber. Timothy hay includes;
a). 3rd cutting super soft Timothy Hay.
This is very nutritious and healthy hay meant for small and young chinchillas.
As the name suggests, this hay contains three number of cuts. The first cutting is coarse with a lot of stems and seed heads, but rich in fiber to boost and digestive process.
The second cutting is made of soft and firm green grass or leaves.
The third cutting is made up of soft and dry leaves or grasses. This cutting is preferred by most chinchillas as they are easy to chew and digest.
b). High fiber Timothy Hay.
This is green hay made of green flower heads and leaves. This hay is rich in fiber, to boost and ease the digestion process.
The hay is made of green, fresh, clean and sweet-tasting flowers that encourage chewing, promoting the overall dental health of your chinchilla.
c). Kaytee Timothy Hay.
This is essential and healthy hay and food for a chinchilla. It is grown naturally, cut, dried and stored in a well-protected environment for the purpose of maintaining its natural value. Kaytee Timothy hay is packed with wafer cuts to peel off the hay, and easy the feeding process.
This hay is man-made with a properly stem to leaf ratio. The hay is rich in fiber, to boost digestion, rich in calcium, to promote the urinary health of your chinchilla, with little protein and calories content.
Kaytee Timothy hay is natural, with no addition of artificial additives and flavors.
This is essential and healthy hay or chinchillas. Oat hay is made of oat heads or shell. It contains little content of protein and calories, but rich in energy and fiber, to help boost the chinchilla’s digestion process.
This hay is brown in color and is suitable for young growing chinchillas.
This is leguminous hay, made of healthy legumes. Alfalfa hay is rich in protein, minerals, energy, and vitamins. This hay enhances animal overall growth and good health. It has calcium, that helps to boost the animal’s urinary system.
– It has a great texture that encourages chewing in this rodents, promoting its dental health.
This is essential and nutritious hay and food for the chinchilla. This hay contains low protein and calories content. Orchardgrass hay is rich in fiber, to help boost your chinchilla’s digestion process.
Chinchillas are sensitive pets that should be handled and fed with care. It is important to keep your chinchillas healthy, by feeding them the right quality and quantity of food.
It is also important to regulate this animal’s diet, to break the monotony and boredom of too much consumption of one type of food. Note that it is not advisable to suddenly introduce a new diet of food to your chinchilla.
This is because it may create shock in its sensitive digestive system, causing problems like diarrhea. It is advised to slowly and gradually introduce a new meal to Chinchilla.
Do not feed your chinchilla with food that contains artificial additives and flavors, as they cause health issue. Know the best food for chinchilla, and avoid unsafe fatty food.
Avoid feeding your chinchilla with food that is hard and complicated to digests, like fruits and vegetables. These foods should be moderately fed to the animal in low quantities.